Becoming a Tenant

Becoming a Tenant

So you want to study or work in Australia and need a place to live – where do you begin?

With one of the largest rental lists of inner city Melbourne apartments, MICM Property’s website is a great place to start. Our daily listings cover all budgets (and a choice of furnished or unfurnished properties), so your perfect rental is only an email or a phone call away.


1. Property inspection and application

MICM Property conducts open for inspections on a weekly basis, which are advertised on our website from Wednesdays onwards. Should the times not suit your schedule, speak with our leasing team and we can generally arrange a more convenient time to inspect the property with our leasing staff privately. When you have found a suitable place to rent, bring along your reference details (ID cards or passport, employment etc) to help fill out the application form.

Before moving in, you must pay the first month’s rent in advance by bank cheque or direct debit from your bank to MICM Property. You must also pay a bond to the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (usually equal to the first month’s rent, or equal to 6 weeks for properties over $350pw), which is refunded at the end of your lease. You will also be issued with a booklet from the Tenants Union of Victoria outlining what your rights and responsibilities are as a tenant.

2. Moving in

After you start paying rent, MICM Property only accepts direct debit payments from your bank. You must organise the connection of all the services to the property, including water, gas, electricity, and a telephone line, if needed. DirectConnect is a service that can help you organise these services.

Rent can only be increased by the landlord after the terms of the original lease are up, and after that, the landlord has the right to review the rent every 6 months, if you are not under any fixed term lease agreement. Before an increase can take place, your property manager must give you at least 60 days written notice of this. Property managers or landlords have the right to make one general inspection every six months, with 24 hours written notice to do so. Should any maintenance or repairs be required during your lease, you must send a written maintenance request to MICM Property.

3. Moving out

Before vacating the property, you must give 28 days written notice to MICM Property, otherwise you will be charge till the 28 days up. This also applies to lease break, if you want to leave before the end of your lease, you still have to give 28 days’ notice, however you must pay any costs in finding a new tenant, as well as continue paying the rent until a new tenant moves in.

Rental terminology

Residential Tenancy Agreement: this is the lease you sign after your application has been accepted. The Residential Tenancy Agreement is a legal contract between you and the landlord that lists all the terms and conditions of the tenancy.

Condition Report: before you move in, your property manager provides you with this report. This describes the condition of the property, from the state of the carpets to the number of electrical plugs. At commencement of your tenancy two signed copies of Condition Report will be given, you are required to cross check information provided on the condition report, and amend if you notice anything missed, The TENANT must within three days of receiving copies of this report, return the white, copy, signed to MICM indicating, in the space provided whether or not the TENANT agrees to the condition that’s describe, if not, please amend.

Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (RTBA): this is the government body that holds the bond that you paid at the start of your lease. When you move out, the RTBA transfers the bond money to your bank account, on receipt of a form from your property manager. If there is damage to the property, or rent owing, the landlord may claim some or all of the bond.